Thursday, September 25, 2008

Woman's Day

Woman's Day is telling us how Kate Gosselin feeds 10 people on a budget, oh boy, I wonder if we will get more of Kate's fine recipes too? I find this to be another ad for the Grains Food Foundation, we really need to start writing this company.
Ok how does she do it? Here is a link to the article and the story.

Contacting the Grains Food Foundation
Jennifer Geiger
978.468.8958
jennifer.geiger@mullen.com

If you're interested in participating in the campaign or becoming an investor, please contact:
Judi Adams, MS, RD, PresidentGrain Foods Foundation
490 Bear Cub DriveRidgway, CO 81432
Phone: 970-626-5183
Fax: 970-626-5814



How She Does It: Kate Gosselin
Learn this mother of eight’s secrets for feeding her family on a budget
By Jennifer Rainey Marquez Posted September 22, 2008

She may not wield a lasso or own a red cape, but 33-year-old Kate Gosselin is a real-life Wonder Woman. As a mother of 7-year-old twins and 4-year-old sextuplets, the star of TLC’s reality show Jon and Kate Plus 8 gives viewers a peek at what it’s like to manage a household with eight energetic kids running around underfoot. Now, the former nurse is partnering with the Grain Foods Foundation to spread the word about creating healthy lunches on a budget for schoolkids. WomansDay.com recently chatted with Kate about how she feeds a family of 10 without breaking the bank, her passion for healthy food and how many boxes—yes, we said boxes!—of cereal she goes through every morning.

This is a big year for you—the first that all eight kids are in elementary or preschool. Can you describe your typical routine getting the kids ready for school?
I’m all about planning ahead. Otherwise, I don’t know how I would function in the morning, because I am not a morning person! I pack the twins’—Cara and Mady’s—lunches the night before, so that everything’s ready to go the next day. I also lay out the little kids’ lunches in my mind. I’m always thinking: Can I turn that roast turkey into a turkey sandwich tomorrow morning? We live an hour from the preschool, so the little kids and I have to get a very early start.
An hour each way is quite a trip! Is it tough to keep six 4-year-olds entertained in the car?
It’s really the same as having two kids in the backseat, except multiplied by three (or four, when the twins are with us). They’ve got built-in playmates, so on the days that they’re getting along, they can usually entertain each other. My main trick is to have plenty of snacks on hand—I’ve been known to make sandwiches in our van. Hungry kids are cranky kids!

What type of lunch do you usually send the kids off to school with?
I make eight lunches every morning, and I try to mix it up from day to day. I’m a big believer in whole grains, so I do a lot of sandwiches on whole-wheat bread: They love easy stuff like peanut butter–and-jelly and ham-and-cheese. Today I made grilled cheese sandwiches. Nothing is better than a toasted sandwich—the crunch, the melted cheese. I like to use my toaster oven to make homemade panini. And the kids also love whole-grain chips and salsa, or vegetables they can dip. [Ed. note: The Grain Foods Foundation has created an online tool at grainpower.org where you can track how much money (and calories) you're saving each day by packing a lunch. You can also download coupons, get sandwich recipes and register to win a year’s worth of free groceries.]

How do you deal with feeding eight picky eaters who may want different things for each meal?
Well, I’m not a restaurant, so I’m not taking requests. Each of the kids does have their own favorite foods or things that they hate to eat—they don’t have identical tastes. To encourage them to try new foods or eat things they may not like, I try to make the food fun. I’ll take a slice of whole wheat and pair it with enriched white bread, and then after cutting the sandwiches into quarters, flip two of the quarters over to make a checkerboard. Or, I might use cookie cutters to make the sandwiches in the shape of their initials. Sometimes I do a color theme, like all orange foods. The little kids like to guess what the theme is. They’re usually pretty good about eating fruits and veggies, but they’re getting pickier as they get older. Sometimes it’s a matter of sneaking it in—like I’ll make oatmeal in the morning and blend in fruit purée that they can’t detect.

I’ve heard you say that you try to cook with organic ingredients. Why is that important to you?
When I can use organic, I do. It can be more expensive, so it’s not always possible, but I just feel like foods that are grown naturally and locally help the earth. I buy most of my produce at local markets or farmers’ stands. And I feel better serving my kids foods that haven’t been sprayed with pesticides or chemicals.

We all have days when we don’t want to cook an elaborate dinner. Do you have any tips for making fast, easy meals?
It’s almost impossible to create a 10-person meal quickly, so I’m big on making things ahead and then freezing them. The kids love spaghetti, so I will make a homemade spaghetti sauce and then stick it in the freezer. It’s so easy to thaw it on the stove while the pasta’s heating up. And I also freeze a lot of soups ahead of time. I try not to get to the point where I’m in a pinch, because I don’t want to be faced with eight starving, cranky children.

I saw one episode where Jon made a special Korean meal for the family. Does he help out with the cooking regularly, or was that a rare event?
I make about 99.9% of our meals, and that .1% percent he cooks is when we’re making Asian food. Evidently, Jon is the master of Asian cooking in the house! It’s actually a great treat when he does it because I get a bit of a break—although I hate having him mess up my kitchen. But I actually really enjoy cooking, and I make everything from scratch. I love seeing how many healthy calories I can pump into my family. It’s a labor of love for me.

You guys must go through a lot of food in a week!
You have no idea. We go through a loaf of bread in one meal. I guess the bright side of that is, it doesn’t ever have a chance to go stale. We use two to three boxes of cereal in a single morning. Milk, we pretty much go through a half-gallon during breakfast alone. When I’m making eggs for breakfast, we use close to two dozen!

Wow! Do you have any secrets for feeding such a large family on a budget?
Well, I try not to take the kids shopping with me, because it’s tough to get through the supermarket without ending up with some extra treats in the cart. I’m definitely a coupon clipper. I stock up when something is on sale—I can tell you what the normal price is for almost anything, and what a good sale price is. In our state [Pennsylvania], we also have something called rain checks, which means if a store is out of a sale item, you can get a voucher for the same item at the same price. For me, comparison shopping is a fun challenge, and I love knowing that I’m getting the best deals.

Is it tough to create healthy meals that don’t break the bank?
I was always a healthy eater, even before I had kids, so I try not to compromise nutrition for cost. And honestly, cooking a lot from scratch means you don’t have to buy the expensive processed stuff. When you buy the ingredients in bulk and make it yourself, you can make each serving for half the price of what you’d buy it for premade.

I’m sure it’s difficult to keep a household organized with eight young children. Do the kids help out with chores?
Yes! Our twins, Cara and Mady, are old enough now that they can feed the little kids breakfast if we’re having cereal. They even did it this morning on a school day! I try to encourage them, even if they don’t do it exactly the way I would have. And the little kids help put toys away. Soon I’m going to start a chore assignment where they rotate every week. Honestly, with everything that I have to get done in a day, it really does help when they pitch in. I give them a job, and it’s done before I can turn around. They’re fast!

What one thing do you do that makes the most difference in terms of keeping things organized?
For me, it’s all about maximizing my time. I plan everything out to the nth degree. For example, as you can imagine, we have a lot of laundry. To avoid confusion, I wash each category of clothes together—meaning the twins (who share a room) have their clothes washed in one load, or Jon and I have our clothes washed in one load. That way, once they’re out of the dryer, I know that everything is going back to the same room and the same closet.

Can you tell us a little bit about your book Multiple Blessings: Surviving to Thriving With Twins and Sextuplets that’s coming out this fall? Why did you and Jon decide to write it?
We actually started writing it to get down all of our memories from when the kids were little, before we forgot them. And the best part of it is that we have it for them—so they can know how much we love them, how much they were wanted and why we do what we do. It also shows our viewers what we were doing before the show started in 2005. I saw the cover the other day, and I just gasped! I love having such a beautiful family portrait and a record of our memories.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at the lies, she makes 99% of the meals, excuse me, 3 to 4 times a week, the food is catered.

Anonymous said...

Wow, can we make her woman of the year? I mean, what can't Kate do?

notakatelover said...

Kate the GREAT - LIAR!!!!

She is pathetic!

Anonymous said...

Wait...I have to go get my boots for this one.

Anonymous said...

She actually believes her own lies. Very sad.

Anonymous said...

Ok, which is it, she fixes some lunches as night and then she fixes them all in the morning?

Libby said...

Kate has told so many lies (it would seem) that she is now believing that she really is super-woman! In a way, I say...go Kate go...tell some more lies...then when this all blows up, she will be covered in her own crap and web of lies! Ya Kate just keep on digging that hole, you are in so deep now there is no getting out!

Anonymous said...

What a crock! Oh, wait, Kate doesn't do crocks. What in the world are they feeding these people or letting them smoke to get them to print these articles? P&G putting Kate on their labels saying take a tip from her?? What the heck? We are seriously watching a phenomenon here of smoke & mirrors. I'm not buying any of it.

Anonymous said...

Kate said: We live an hour from the preschool, so the little kids and I have to get a very early start.

WTF, are they thinking? Must be none of the preschools in their area wanted them or perhaps they weren't free. That is just plain stupid, who's driving them all that ways?

Anonymous said...

I want to know who can afford the gas to drive kids an hour to preschool nowdays? Oh, Jon and Kate, I forgot, they aren't poor anymore.

Anonymous said...

Wow, they must know that their show isn't going to be around much longer. These are more or less ads in the Star and Woman's Day. Kate is working for P&G and Grains Foundation. Well I guess at least she is working, if you want to call it that. And being on Regis, that is just going to be a commercial for their new book too. I doubt they will mention Beth.

Anonymous said...

I saw the cover the other day, and I just gasped!

Give me a break, you just saw the cover, this book cover has been around for ages. Oh my, I gasped too, you weird woman Kate.

Lonnyswife said...

This article is nothing but an advertisment for the Grains people, with alittle bit of Gosselin BS thrown in for good measure.
Kate can't even keep the lies straight in the same article.
First she makes the twins lunches the night before.................and then she is up in the morning making 8 lunches.
Do you think perhaps she is donating them to needy school children, her way of 'giving back'??

notakatelover said...

"Kate just gasped"


Yeah, she gasped because she can't believe people are going to see her bullshit in print.

When are these people going to go away!

Anonymous said...

The preschool is actually 20-25 min. away from their house.
Another exaggeration on her part.
Love the explanation about "rain checks". Gee, not a soul would understand what THOSE are, Kate.
You are making everything NEW for us. LOL
p.s. She makes the twins' lunches the night before, and JON has to make the other 6 lunches in the morning!

notakatelover said...

"And the best part of it is that we have it for them—so they can know how much we love them, how much they were wanted and why we do what we do."

______________________________
Well Kate, its a good thing it's in writing because you told the whole world on television that if you had to do it over, you would not. In other words, they were a mistake.
Your words Kate, remember? If you don't. I'm sure the kids will remember.

Anonymous said...

I am just so sick of them, all the Gosselins, especially Kate. Years from now people will be saying "Oh, they pulled a Gosselin" and, guess what, it will not be a compliment. It will be synonymous with grifter, scan artist, con person, civil criminal.

Or it will be "Poor kid, his parents did a Gosselin on him", and we all know that meant they lived off the money they made by selling him either literally or piece by piece as these two are doing to their poor kids.

Anonymous said...

I won't buy this magazine again. Why would anyone want to read a story that is nothing but an ad to make J&K more money?

Anonymous said...

I just emailed the Grains Foundation, thanks to your link. I think it is time that we all start hitting these sponsors or employers of J&K hard.

Anonymous said...

This whole thing just makes me ill. I ask myself over and over, why don't people see how she really is? I just don't get it.

Anonymous said...

The school is NOT an hour away. No way, at no time. It is 25 minutes away, if that. Does Kate really think that nobody will call her on these "exaggerations?" Or maybe she actually has herself convinced that this is true?

Anonymous said...

So whether Kate gives them cereal or eggs for breakfast, organic of course, she is spending what, less than $10 for that meal, big damn deal.

Anonymous said...

Kate Gosseliiar needs to learn how to tell the truth, And tah i do not believe for a minute that the gossseliars gave ONE RED CENT to any charity if so ,Why did they not donate the money they made from one episode and we want to see the check to prove its not from T.L.C. FROM SICK OF ALL THEIR LIES YOU TWO MAKE ME SICK

Anonymous said...

I love how she mentions she uses "one to two boxes of cereal per day." How come when we see her feeding them a meal usually consists of two grapes, two crackers and a tablespoon of salsa or hummus? Lets not even talk about the few times we see cereal on the table, they are tiny amounts in tiny bowls. I say she uses a half box maximum. I have never seen her feed those kids a meal with a full plate of anything. what b.s.