Friday, December 26, 2008

Saying it like it is!

This post was sent in as a comment by Stefanie. I hope you don't mind that I published it as a post but I feel you nailed it!!!


I started watching Jon and Kate plus 8 season 1. I was really enthralled with the show and amazed at how one person can take care of eight children without loosing their mind. However, as season three and four have hit the air I have lost all respect for this t.v. commercial (oops I mean show).
I think my dislike started in season three when all the children went to Utah skiing. My first thought was why would you take a three year old skiing? Then you see that all of their ski gear was donated to them. This is definitely not reality, and not something children should perceive as reality. We live in a snowy area and I just went today to buy gear for the snow. For a family of four I spent on two pairs of snow boots, hats, and two pairs of gloves $114.00 at Walmart. I have yet to buy other items for us to go out in the snow. It just irks me that Jon and Kate as well as TLC would like one to perceive a ski trip to Utah as a middle class (J&K like people to think they are middle class) family vacation that is available to everyone.
I think the issue I take with this show is that neither one of the parents hold a job. If one watches reality televisions shows such as "Little People Big World" or even "17 Kids and Counting" you will notice one thing about at least one of the parents in each of these shows; they work! When the show stated that Jon decided to stay at home and "work" it totally blew my mind. I suppose he decided to stay home with Kate and exploit their children for more money and make a career by using their children to make money?
Now, Season Four has been the worst of all seasons when it comes to blatant advertisement in the show. From the trip to Hawaii that was completely paid for by T.L.C. in which most middle class families would have to spend years saving for something like this. Most normal families of four are unable to go to Hawaii, have a private boat, have a private suite to themselves, or get any of the other freebies that Jon and Kate received. It was totally unrealistic, and truly just showcased how they use their children as walking talking commercials.
My next issue came when they went to "give back" to the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. First off, they go and stay with their eight children at a four-five star hotel. They advertise for K-Mart, not to mention all the toy companies. Then Kate proceeds to tell everyone in the world that she along with her husband purchased all the gifts to give back to the children at St Jude. After reading many blogs and doing some research of my own it appears that they did not even pay for the gifts. The gifts were donated? I think it takes a lot of nerve to take credit for something that you did not even do (good one Kate).

Overall, it does not take a rocket scientist to see that the way T.L.C. and Jon and Kate perceive reality in this show is totally off mark. The way these people exploit their children, and receive as many free bee's as possible is not reality. Reality is not taking several vacations a year with your eight children. This is not how HARD WORKING people with multiple children live their lives. Reality is not Jon and Kate Plus Eight.

4 comments:

notakatelover said...

Dear Stefanie,
I hope you don't mind that I published your comment as a post. I fell in love with the sextuplets and Kate captured my heart with her coupon clipping and her slight ocd. Quickly, I noticed things that weren't quite right and so began to google her. I realized I was not alone in my feelings. One day, people will realize what they are doing to their children to make a few bucks and to not work. I still don't understand what her "appeal" is, but to each their own.

Anonymous said...

I am wondering how long it will be before they make the move to the next round of "Real Housewives". Can't you just see Kate with blond hair extensions and enormous fake breasts? I would like to fast forward to when these kids are adults. Or to be a fly on the wall when it is announced that the show has run it's course. Or when the money is gone and the bills come due. Or when one of their kids....God forbid....becomes the next Disney pop star. I cringe at the thought.

GingerRose (Prone to Wander) said...

This was an excellent post, thank you for sharing this.
I, too, began as a fan. At first, I bought the excuse - they said they were trying to do the same things with 8 children that they would do if the only had 1 or 2. Then it became apparent that this was not their motivation at all, as a family of 3 or 4 would certainly not be dropping everything in order to go on such extravagant vacations. That is where the lies started to surface, and they have only sped up from that point on.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just came across this sight, and I'm shocked that there are so many against the Gosselins. I am a fan, and I think you all should be ashamed. What if her children read these posts one day? I'm sure none of you are perfect, as I myself am not. What if someone said nasty things about you all over the Internet and your children came across it when googling their own last name? Most of you say that she's exploiting her family, but what are you doing? The things you are saying on here are more detrimental than her show is to her children. From what I can tell they seem to be well adjusted even with all the freebies. If people want to give to the Gosselins, who are you to judge? If you were in their position I'm sure you'd be more than happy to accept all the gifts people, networks, vacation spots, stores, etc., are giving. And I understand that it's not YOUR reality they are living, it's their own. Their reality is that they struggled and now they are blessed with the ability to stay at home with their children and give them amazing experiences through the show. What's so wrong with that? And I also saw that someone was picking on her choice of Bible verses and her leaving out key ones, for example, do unto others? Do you want what you're doing to them to be done to you?