Tuesday, June 2, 2009

From One Octomom to Another Octomom -STOP Judging ME!

Octuplets mom to Kate Gosselin: stop judging me
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
(06-02) 11:24 PDT La Habra, Calif. (AP) --

Nadya Suleman says multi-mom and reality TV star Kate Gosselin should stop judging the "octomom" and deal with her own faltering marriage.
"It's done. I've moved past my 'mistake,'" Suleman — framing the word "mistake" with finger quotemarks — said in a video posted Tuesday on the Web site www.radaronline.com.

"She has her own obvious issues, internal issues, and she needs to stop partially making judgments towards me. She doesn't even know me," Suleman said of Gosselin.

"That's human nature. Tends to happen to people who are less educated," Suleman added. "I surround myself internally and externally with positive energy. She does the opposite."

"Kate's certainly not going to react to that," Laurie Goldberg, a spokeswoman for TLC, the cable TV network that runs Gosselin's show "Jon & Kate Plus 8," said Tuesday. "The octomom can say whatever she wants."

Suleman commented after being shown an interview that Gosselin gave on the "Dr. Phil" show in February. During the interview, Gosselin said she had great difficulties during the first year caring for her sextuplets and her two other children, despite strong support from her husband.

Gosselin had questioned the ability of Suleman, who is unmarried, to deal with her total of 14 children, including eight she had in January. During the interview, it is mentioned that Gosselin had about 50 helpers a week at one point, causing Suleman to scoff.

"I have, like, 10 helpers per week. Why am I not overwhelmed? Why is it not a chaotic mess?" Suleman asked.

"My children are extremely healthy, strong and happy. Don't you have, like, a lot of issues in your life? A lot of marital problems?" she asked of Gosselin. "Why are you so desperate to glom on to my life? For attention?"

Gosselin and her husband have attracted millions of viewers with their cable show, now in its fifth season. The series follows the couple as they raise their children, including 5-year-old sextuplets and 8-year-old twins. Its audience soared following media reports that the couple had cheated on each other. The Gosselins denied it but conceded their marriage is in trouble.


http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2009/06/02/state/n104002D20.DTL

2 comments:

Zayna said...

After visiting several sites that are dealing with concerns for the Gosselin kids, I thought I'd leave this comment here...the only blog I've so far commented to.

If the moderators feel it inappropriate I understand if they don't post it and I will not pursue the issue, I trust their judgment on the matter.

In all honesty, I'm not sure why I care so much about what happens to these kids.

It's not like I've ever met them, it's not like I've ever donated to their family and thereby feel duped by their parents.

I think it may be because I feel accomplice to what I now see as their exploitation. Part of me wants to redeem myself.

I started watching J&K +8 only a few months ago. TLC shows repeats during the day and it was the earlier episodes.

Like most, I was drawn in by the adorableness of the kids, the banter of J&K and the feeling that "Phew, I only have two."

That's the crux isn't it...if it weren't for the willing audience, there would be no show and we wouldn't be discussing this at 20 comments per hour.

Anyway, it wasn't long before I started noticing that I felt uncomfortable and disconcerted. I began questioning why I was watching it at all.

If I have a plain point it is this, there is just so much evidence that suggests these kids are going to have issues with self-identity.

Parents of identical multiples are advised to dress their children differently to encourage a healthy sense of self-definition.

What we have here is two sets of fraternal multiples being dressed alike, treated alike, doing almost everything together as a pair or a group for their entire lives.

That by itself should raise eyebrows as to whether or not the parents actually see their children as individual people or as THEIR "twins" and "the little kids".

Throw in cameras (not to mention the men running them) documenting every embarrassing (and what 'normal' people would consider private) moment and you're just asking for trouble.

I will stop short of saying I feel sorry for Kate and Jon Gosselin because despite their assertions they did not ask for this...we all know that when they signed that contract, they most certainly did.

I will instead reserve my pity for their children who clearly had no, and have not since had any, say in the matter.

Being an optimist, I do believe Jon and Kate have an opportunity to redeem themselves both in the public eye and in their children's eyes.

All they have to do is decide that the show and the money are not worth the price of their kids' self-esteem.

In all sincerity, I am praying that a revelation hits them, for the sake of those kids, before a court order does.

A Concerned Canadian

Julianna said...

You need to leave the Gosselins ALONE!!! You are driving the poor people up the wall!!! You suck poperatzie{I don't know how to spell it} You are what is pulling Jon and Kate apart! They can't even enjoy the sextuplets birthday party! You are being to hard on the poor parents.I think Jon & Kate Gosselin are one of the best parents in the whole world! So go take your stupid pictures of somebody else and leave the Gosselins ALONE You selfish pigs! I hope you burn in HELL!

A loving fan of Jon & kate plus eight -Julianna